Date Published:8/1/2014 2:08:00 PM
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (Ebola HF) is one of numerous Viral Hemorrhagic Fevers. It is a severe, often fatal disease in humans and nonhuman primates (such as monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees). As cases in the United States make headlines, we wanted to share some resources for SHEA Members that will be helpful. SHEA supports CDC's Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations and requests that members send any suggestions or concerns to us so that we can work with CDC as this situation evolves.
Ebola Preparations for Healthcare Epidemiologists Webinar
The following links are from the SHEA Webinar with CDC Speakers hosted on Aug 25, 2014.
View resources shared by SHEA members here.
See how SHEA is working for our members here.
View volunteer and training opportunities here.
- Review of Human-to-Human Transmission of Ebola Virus – Oct 17 (CDC)
- Preparing for Ebola: What U.S. Hospitals Can Learn From Emory Healthcare and Nebraska Medical Center Presentation Slides – Oct 14 (CDC)
- Newest Ebola Case in a Health Care Worker Points to Need for Increased Funding for Infection Prevention Programs – Oct 14 (SHEA)
- IDWeek 2014 Lessons Learned on Ebola – Oct 11
- Facts About Ebola Infographic – Oct 12 (CDC)
- Ebola Medical Waste Management – Oct 11 (CDC)
- Preparing for Critical Care Services to Patients With Ebola – Sept 23 (Article: Annals of Internal Medicine)
- Evaluating Patients for Possible Ebola Virus Disease: Recommendations for Healthcare Personnel and Health Officials – Oct 2 (CDC)
- Checklist for Patients Being Evaluated for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in the United States – Oct 1 (CDC)
- Evaluating Returned Travelers for EVD, US – Oct 1 (CDC)
- CDC Newsroom: CDC and Texas Health Department Confirm First Ebola Case Diagnosed in the U.S. – Sept 30 (CDC)
(to listen to the press conference, click on the audio link)
- First Imported Case of Ebola Diagnosed in the U.S. – Sept 30 (CDC)
- Top 10 Ebola Response Planning Tips: Ebola Readiness Self-Assessment for State and Local Public Health Officials - Sept 23 (CDC)
- MMWR: Estimating the Future Number of Cases in the Ebola Epidemic - Liberia and Sierra Leone, 2014-2015 - Sept 23 (CDC)
- Fact Sheet: CDC Ebola Surge – 2014 – Sept 16 (CDC)
- FACT SHEET: U.S. Response to the Ebola Epidemic in West Africa – Sept 16 (White House)
- Health Care Facility Preparedness Checklist for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) – Sept 12 (CDC)
- Health Care Provider Preparedness Checklist for Ebola Virus Disease- Sept 12 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance Regarding Compliance with Select Agent Regulations for Laboratories Handling Patient Specimens that are Known or Suspected to Contain Ebola Virus – Sept 8 (CDC)
- Infographic: CDC in Action – Aug 29 (CDC)
- HAN 368: CDC Ebola Response Update #4 – Aug 28 (CDC)
- Infographic: What is Contact Tracing? - Aug 26 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Systems and 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) for Management of Patients with Known or Suspected Ebola Virus Disease in the United States - Aug 26 (CDC)
- Questions and Answers on Ebola - Updated Aug 26 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Specimen Collection, Transport, Testing, and Submission for Persons Under Investigation for Ebola Virus Disease in the United States – Updated Aug 26 (CDC)
- Guidance for Safe Handling of Human Remains of Ebola Patients in U. S. Hospitals and Mortuaries – Aug 25 (CDC)
- Health Alert Network (HAN) INFOService: CDC Ebola Response Update #3 – Aug 22 (CDC)
- Case Definition for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) – Aug 22 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Ebola Virus Disease Exposure – Aug 22 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Environmental Infection Control in Hospitals for Ebola Virus – Aug 19 (CDC)
The guideline covers topics related to waste, linens, and recommended personal protective equipment for environmental services staff. It also includes a Q&A section on cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, determining the appropriate EPA-registered hospital disinfectant, and management of spills of blood or other body substances.
- Sequence for Putting On and Removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Aug 19 (CDC)
- Guidance on Air Medical Transport for Patients with Ebola Virus Disease – Aug 14 (CDC)
- What's New – Aug 12 (CDC)
- Ebola Virus Disease Information for Clinicians in U.S. Healthcare Settings – Aug 10 (CDC)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is working closely with the World Health Organization and other partners to better understand and manage the public health risks posed by Ebola virus disease (EVD). As of Aug 10, 2014, no EVD cases have occurred in the United States. The purpose of this document is to provide updated information about EVD to clinicians working in U.S. hospitals and health clinics.
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak in West Africa – Aug 8 (CDC)
The Guinean Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Health and Sanitation of Sierra Leone, the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare of Liberia, and the Nigerian Ministry of Health are working with national and international partners to investigate and respond to the outbreak.
- CDC Twitter Chat: What U.S. Healthcare Facilities Need to Know to Prepare for Ebola Virus Disease – Aug 8 (CDC)
During this Twitter chat, CDC answered clinicians' questions on what steps U.S. healthcare facilities can take to prepare for the possibility of caring for a patient with Ebola virus disease.
- FAQ: Safe Management of Patients with Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in U.S. Hospitals – Aug 6 (CDC)
- Case Definition for Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) – Aug 7 (CDC)
- Interim Guidance for Monitoring and Movement of Persons with Ebola Virus Disease Exposure – Aug 7 (CDC)
- COCA Call: What U.S. Hospitals Need to Know to Prepare for Ebola Virus Disease – Aug 1 (CDC)
- Infographics (English and Spanish) – Aug 11 (CDC)
- Belgian Ebola Guidelines
- Australian Public Health Laboratory Guidelines
Member Shared Resources
These resources are shared by SHEA members as examples only. They are posted "as is" without additional review for concordance with current CDC and WHO guidance. If you have additional resources to share or would like to request the word version if available, please email email@example.com.
Volunteer & Training Opportunities
These opportunities are for those interested in volunteering in Africa as well as training opportunities before volunteering.